POSTPONED – Fulbright U.S.A. Study Abroad Capacity Building Initiative – 2020
The event has been postponed due to the recent situation of coronavirus spread, new date to be confirmed.
The Fulbright U.S.A. Study Abroad Capacity Building Initiative – 2020 will be a one-day capacity-building workshop for key staff at Portuguese higher education institutions to help them better promote study opportunities in Portugal and gain first-hand knowledge of how U.S. universities study abroad structures operate.
The event will take place on May 7th and 8th 2020 in Ponta Delgada-Açores.
The number of U.S. students in Portugal has been steadily increasing but there is room for bigger growth in the next few years, taking advantage of the increased visibility of Portugal as a top travel destination.
This workshop will give participants the tools to better attract students and to successfully engage with the U.S. representatives and it will follow up on our two previous capacity-building workshops that were very successful in terms of participation and feedback.
The Fulbright Commission Portugal will partner with the U.S. Consulate to deliver this workshop in the Azores, in Ponta Delgada. One U.S. speaker and Fulbright U.S. grantees will be invited to present during the event.
As a result of participating in the program, Portuguese International Relations Officers and Administrators will:
1) Expand their knowledge of U.S. higher education system;
2) Understand current challenges for U.S. students wanting to study abroad;
3) Identify and understand challenges of recruiting US students;
4) Share best practices in providing support for US students on site;
5) Learn about management of expectations from hosts and students.
6) Learn about USA Study Abroad general topics.
The program of the event is being developed and will be made public as soon as possible.
Fulbright Portugal will be responsible for the administration of the program.
Program Funding: No registration fee will be required. Selected participants will be given lodging and meals in Ponta Delgada. Travel to and from Ponta Delgada will have to be paid by the candidates or their home institutions.
Program Requirements: All participants are expected to participate fully in the program.
- Candidates should download the application form below, fill in the required information and send it by email to email@example.com.
- A letter from the candidate’s home institution and direct supervisor, confirming institutional support, type of contract and permission to participate in the program, will be required and should also be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: The competition deadline is February 21st, 2020
NOTE: Deadline extended to March 2nd, 2020.
Selection process: Pre-selected candidates will be interviewed during the first week of March.
10-15 participants will be selected.
These activities support U.S. study abroad to Portugal and are funded through a Study Abroad Engagement Grant from USA Study Abroad within the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, U.S. Department of State.