Fulbright Award in Space, Atmosphere, Ocean, Climate, Energy and Data Science / AIR Centre
Deadline for applications is September 15, 2021, for AY2022/2023
The Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program sends 800 U.S. faculty and professionals abroad each year. Grantees can research in a wide variety of academic and professional fields.
Over the last decades, Portugal has seen remarkable progress in learning, science and innovation, reflected in the quality of education offered at Portuguese universities. Internationalization and academic mobility are one of the priorities for Portuguese higher education institutions, which are increasingly attractive to a growing number of international students, scholars and researchers.
To learn more about Portuguese Higher Education Institutions and Research Centers, visit Study & Research in Portugal.
The Commission for Educational Exchange between the United States of America and Portugal – Fulbright Commission Portugal strives to be a collaborative and innovative organization and is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion.
We seek to ensure that all our grants, programs and activities reflect the diversity of U.S. and Portuguese societies and are open to people regardless of their ethnicity, sex, age, religion, geographic location, socioeconomic status, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity.
We work every day to build a culture of inclusiveness, respect for diversity, and understanding of the many differences that enrich the Fulbright Program.
Category: U.S. Scholar Program.
Degree Requirements: Candidates must have completed a Ph.D., or other terminal degree.
Disciplines: Only applications in the following disciplines will be considered:
- Computer Science
- Environmental Sciences
- Information Sciences/Systems
- Environmental Sciences
- Biological Sciences
- Computer Science
- Data and Information Sciences
- Physical Oceanography
- Aerospace Engineering
Areas of Interest: While this award is open to any project in the Disciplines and Specializations listed above, there is interest in scholars who are in these particular specialty areas:
- Clean and productive bays and estuaries
- Resilience to coastal natural hazards
- Sustainable food production (fisheries, aquaculture and precision / smart agriculture)
- Improved management of marine and coastal resources
- Improved environmental and maritime monitoring
Additional Qualification Information: Priority areas of experience/capacity are:
- Multinational distributed collaborative networks;
- Innovative / creative approaches to transatlantic cooperation for improving the understanding of the Ocean and Coastal systems (with a focus in the Atlantic).
Applications are sought in all appropriate disciplines, but the following technical disciplines as academic / technical background are preferred:
- Integration of satellite data and in-situ observations into assimilative models
- Articial Intelligence and Deep Learning applied to Earth Observation
- Earth Observation in support of Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation
- Development of Earth Observation concepts and prototypes for operational services and produtcs
Language Proficiency: All activity will be in English; additional language proficiency is not required.
Grant Duration and Dates
Grant Duration: Four to Six Months.
Grant Dates: Starting dates are flexible; preferred starting month is March 2023, as agreed with the Portuguese host institution.
Grant Activity: Research
Support the development of the mission-oriented approach of the Atlantic International Research Centre (AIR Centre) in the context of the disciplines identified in scope of the Atlantic Interactions initiative (Marine resources and biodiversity; Healthy and clean oceans; Earth Observation from deep ocean to near space; Mitigation and adaptation to climate change; Sustainable energy systems; Data science), with focus on innovation in multi-national collaborative networks and creative approaches to the transatlantic cooperation to improve the understanding of the ocean and coastal systems as a whole.
The activity will involve the identification of relevant players from science, industry and administration in the USA and the countries associated with the AIR Centre and the promotion of workshops and meetings to develop the research agenda and identify research projects, new services and products and business opportunities.
Scholars selected for this Award can choose to:
- Advise and/or mentor students
- Assist in faculty, curriculum, and/or program development
- Conduct a professional and/or artistic project
- Conduct a research project designated by the host institution
- Conduct a research project of the applicant’s choosing
- Participate in a two-week group seminar
- Teach graduate and/or undergraduate courses designated by the host institution
- Teach graduate and/or undergraduate courses of the applicant’s choosing
Grant Location: Associação para o Desenvolvimento do Atlantic International Research Centre (AD AIR Centre), Portugal
The activity will either take place at the AD AIR Centre HQ and Earth Observation Laboratory located in the Science and Technology Park – Terinov in Terceira Island, Azores or at the AD AIR Centre offices in Lisbon.
Letter of Invitation: A letter of invitation is optional. Any invitation letter should describe the grant activity and proposed timeline.
Stipend: The Fulbright Commission offers a one-time payment maintenance allowance of €11,200 to €16,800 (corresponding to 4 to 6 monthly allowances of €2,800).
Travel and Relocation Allowance: The Fulbright Commission offers a one-time payment travel allowance, intended as a contribution to international travel between the U.S.A. and Portugal:
- Travel allowance of €1,100, for scholar;
- Travel allowance of €1,100, for each dependent travelling with the scholar (round trip travel receipts are mandatory).
Funding for Dependents: The Fulbright Commission offers additional funding for dependents who stay with the scholar during the entire period of the grant:
- A monthly maintenance allowance of €250 per dependent;
- A monthly tuition allowance of €500 per child, when attending a private school (proof of enrollment and monthly receipts are mandatory);
- A one-time payment allowance of €300 per dependent, to cover for Portuguese language and culture classes (proof of enrollment is mandatory).
Insurance: Accidents and Sickness Program for Exchanges (ASPE).
Housing Allowance: The host (with FCT support) will contribute with €750/month for housing expenses or provide housing in an apartment or residence for scholars.
Other: The host institution will provide computer facilities, internet access and e-mail, office space, access to laboratory facilities, transportation.
Assistance will be provided by Dr. Emir Sirage, Telephone: (+351) 910 971 031, E-mail: email@example.com.
Number of Grants: One Grant.
Applications: Applications must be submitted through the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program website: https://awards.cies.org/content/fulbright-award-space-atmosphere-ocean-climate-energy-and-data-science-air-centre-1
Additional Online Resources