Fulbright Award in Space, Atmosphere, Ocean, Climate, Energy and Data Science / AIR Centre
Deadline for applications is September 16, 2019, for AY2020/21
Category: U.S. Scholar Program.
This award is open to academics and appropriately qualified professionals outside of academia.
Degree Requirements: Candidates must have completed a Ph.D., or other terminal degree.
Disciplines: Please see Specializations below.
Specializations: Ocean Science and Technology; Sustainable Energy for Islands and Isolated Communities; Climate Change Mitigation in Islands and Coastal Areas; Earth Observation and other satellite applications; Data science.
Additional Qualification Information:
- Priority areas of experience/capacity are: Multi-national distributed innovation networks; Innovative/creative approaches to transatlantic cooperation for improving the understanding of the ocean.
- Applications are sought in all appropriate disciplines, but the following technical disciplines as academic/technical background are preferred: Integration of satellite data and in-situ observations; Data Science application to Earth Observation; Microgrids and Integration of Marine Renewable Energy in Islands; EO in support of Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation
Language Proficiency: All activity will be in English; additional language proficiency is not required.
Grant Duration and Period
Grant Duration: Three months.
Grant Period: Grant dates are flexible; preferred starting month is March 2021, as agreed with the Portuguese host institution.
Grant Activity and Affiliation
Grant Activity: Research
Support the development of the research agenda of the Atlantic International Research Centre (AIR Centre) in the context of the disciplines identified in scope of the Atlantic Interactions initiative (Ocean Science and Technology; Sustainable Energy for Islands and Isolated Communities; Climate Change Mitigation in Islands and Coastal Areas; Earth Observation and other satellite applications; Data science), with focus on innovation in multi-national distributed networks and creative approaches to the transatlantic cooperation to improve the understanding of the ocean as a whole system.
The activity will involve the identification of relevant players from science, industry and administration in the USA and the countries associated with the AIR Centre, with special focus on the Azores, and the promotion of workshops and meetings to develop the research agenda and identify research projects, new services and products and business opportunities.
Grant Location: Associação para o Desenvolvimento do Atlantic International Research Centre (AD AIR Centre), Portugal
The activity will take place mainly at the AD AIR Centre office in Lisbon, but will imply frequent visits to the headquarters of the AD AIR Centre in Praia da Vitória, Azores
Letter of Invitation: A letter of invitation is optional. Any invitation letter should describe the grant activity and proposed timeline.
Stipend: Maintenance allowance of €8,400 (corresponding to 3 monthly allowances of €2,800);
Travel: The Fulbright Commission offers a one-time payment travel allowance, intended as a contribution to international travel between the U.S.A. and Portugal:
- Travel allowance of €1,100, for scholar;
- Travel allowance of €1,100, for each dependent travelling with the scholar (round trip travel receipts are mandatory).
Dependents: The Fulbright Commission offers additional funding for dependents who stay with the scholar during the entire period of the grant:
- A monthly maintenance allowance of €250 per dependent;
- A monthly tuition allowance of €500 per child, when attending a private school (proof of enrollment is mandatory);
- A one-time payment allowance of €300 per dependent, to cover for Portuguese language and culture classes (proof of enrollment is mandatory).
Insurance: Accidents and Sickness Program for Exchanges (ASPE).
Housing: The host institution (with FCT support) will provide a monthly housing allowance of €750, or will provide housing in an apartment or residence for scholars.
Other: The host institution will provide computer facilities, internet access and e-mail, office space, access to laboratory facilities, car transportation.
Assistance will be provided by Dr. Joaquín Brito Hernandéz, Telephone: (+351) 93 740 5440, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Number of Grants: One Grant.
Applications: Applications must be submitted through the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program website: https://awards.cies.org/content/fulbright-award-space-atmosphere-ocean-climate-energy-and-data-science-air-centre
For more information about grants for U.S. Scholars in Portugal, contact Dora Reis Arenga (email@example.com).